Earthquakes are devastating natural disasters. Even though they just last a couple of seconds, they still cause millions of dollars in damage to properties, and countless injuries, and even deaths. The scariest thing about earthquakes is that it hits without warning; as of present time, there is still no way to predict when and where the next earthquake will strike. So this means that you need to always be prepared just in case the next earthquake happens in your area. Earthquake preparedness may spell the difference on whether or not you and your family will get to walk away the next time the earth shakes.
Before an Earthquake
You need to prepare an earthquake preparedness kit as early as possible because you can never tell when the next earthquake will be. Your kit should include the basics that you will need in case of emergencies such as:
- waterproof matches
- a battery operated radio
- first-aid kits, and some essential medications
- extra batteries
- water and some trail mix
- a change of clothes
- cash, preferably small bills
Keep these things in a small container or bag so that you can easily grab it during any emergency.You also need to create and discuss an earthquake preparedness plan for you and your family. Plan things like where you should meet up in case the earthquake caused the members to get separated, where to take shelter during the quake, and the quickest escape route to go outside the house.
Earthquake Kit 4 Person Deluxe Bucket Home Survival Emergency Preparedness
7 total customer reviews...
During the Earthquake
This is when all your planning and earthquake preparedness will come into play. Just remember to keep calm so that you will not forget all your preparation. Here are some tips to somehow ensure your safety during an earthquake.
- Stay away from windows, mirrors, or anything that can shatter and release thousands of sharp shards.
- Stay away from telephone poles, billboards, large signs, basically anything that has a tendency to topple over and cause injury.
- Take shelter under heavy wooden tables, under doorways, or if you can, get out of the house as quick as you can and go to an open space.
- If you are in a building do not use the elevators.
After the Earthquake
There are still a couple of things that you need to do after experiencing a rather strong earthquake. After you get bearings, do the following after you have been in an earthqauke:
- Check for any injuries on you and your family members.
- Get ready for an aftershock. These usually happen a couple of minutes after the main earthquake; though aftershocks are weaker, they can still do damage, especially on structures that have already been weakened by the first quake.
- Inspect your home for any structural damage, like cracks on the walls, bowing of the columns, shattered glass, etc. If you feel that your home has already been structurally compromised, you need to leave immediately.
Earthquake preparedness may be the difference on whether you can walk away after an earthquake. So you need to make your preparations as early as now; the next big one may be sooner than you think.